About Me

My photo
I am just a mom: a mom of three kids and one of them is hearing impaired. We are a busy family and I am a very busy mom. I want my hearing impaired daughter, Brooke, to have every advantage so I try to incorporate as many lessons and strategies into our every day life. Most of the teaching I do with Brooke is incorporated into our daily routines and parent-directed play. This blog will include some of our formal lessons but mostly it will be learning to listen in the everyday.

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Christmas Listening

While watching Santa Buddies last night, I got a great idea for a fun Christmas listening activity for Brooke that I think all my children will enjoy. In the movie, Santa said, "Ho, Ho, Go!" Kate noticed it and repeated it since she thought it was funny. And my idea was born. I'll take common Christmas phrases and change one phoneme (sound) and have Brooke listen and then repeat what I said "wrong."
objective:
a. listen for beginning consonant sounds
b. recognize common Christmas phrases

Points to Remember:
1. Create a list of phrases before you begin this activity. It is hard to think of them as your playing but easy to think of them before. Make sure the phrases are familiar to your child. Don't use mistletoe if your child has never heard the word before.
2. Blends are often hard to hear....try not to change the blends. For example, in the phrase "Little Drummer Boy" don't change the /dr/ sound. Change the /l/ in little or the /b/ in boy instead.

Lesson:
1. Say, "We wish you a fairy Christmas"
2. Your child will say, "Not fairy, it should be Merry
3. Say, "Rudolph the bed-nosed reindeer"
4. You child will say, "Not bed- nosed, it's red-nosed."
5. Continue to play with other phrases and even re-use some phrases by changing a different phoneme

Modifications:
1. Try changing ending consonant sounds
2. If your child enjoys the game, change more than one phoneme and see if she can find both changes.

Phrases:
Christmas lights
Advent calendar
Christmas tree
Santa Claus is coming to town
silent night
ho ho ho
candy cane
gold, frankincense and myrrh
baby, it's cold outside
I'm dreaming of a white Christmas
Frosty the snowman
We wish you a merry Christmas
Here comes Santa Claus
Jingle Bells
Polar Express
hot, hot hot chocolate
let is snow
deck the halls
have a holly jolly Christmas
Happy birthday Jesus
away in a manger
have yourself a merry little Christmas
joy to the world
the wise men travelled far
run run as fast as you can, you can't catch me I'm the gingerbread man
snowflake

No comments:

Post a Comment