About Me

My photo
I am just a mom: a mom of three kids and one of them is hearing impaired. We are a busy family and I am a very busy mom. I want my hearing impaired daughter, Brooke, to have every advantage so I try to incorporate as many lessons and strategies into our every day life. Most of the teaching I do with Brooke is incorporated into our daily routines and parent-directed play. This blog will include some of our formal lessons but mostly it will be learning to listen in the everyday.

Monday, December 27, 2010

Rest Time Activities

I has been years since Brooke and Kate have actually taken a nap. So, we now call nap time "Rest Time". I typically rotated the toys in their room every few days in an attempt to keep them occupied and quiet during rest time. I've taken a new approach that seem to be working a little bit better. I have 3 flower carpets: blue, red, and yellow. These carpets stay in the closet and are brought out only for rest time. I put a different activity on each carpet with the directions that "It stays on the carpet!" Here are a few examples of rest time activities.

On the blue carpet are lacing alphabet beads, the red carpet has the Little People Thanksgiving set, and the yellow carpet is for sorting. I try to have one letter learning activity, one concept activity such as numbers, colors, shapes, sorting, or patterns, and one fun activity.



On the yellow carpet are alphabet building blocks, the blue carpet has an alphabet puzzle, and the red had number pegs. (I guess we needed some extra alphabet practice this day)

For most of the activities, the girls need to complete it before rest time is over. For example, the number pegs and the alphabet puzzle need to be completed before rest time is over. I'll check their work and we'll clean up together. All activities go back to their homes and the carpets are returned to the closet until tomorrow.
I think organizing Rest Time this way, encourages Brooke to work independently and gives her repeated practice as her level. I often find that she will give-up quickly when working with me and say, "I can't do it". But on her own, without me next to her, she will work harder and with less frustration. It is also great preparation for kindergarten when she will be asked to work independently at centers.

No comments:

Post a Comment