About Me

My photo
I am just a mom: a mom of three kids and one of them is hearing impaired. We are a busy family and I am a very busy mom. I want my hearing impaired daughter, Brooke, to have every advantage so I try to incorporate as many lessons and strategies into our every day life. Most of the teaching I do with Brooke is incorporated into our daily routines and parent-directed play. This blog will include some of our formal lessons but mostly it will be learning to listen in the everyday.

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Step on the letter

objective:
1. recite the alphabet correctly
Points to remember:

1. Brooke has always struggled with the alphabet and we work on it almost daily. For her, most of the letters all sound the same such as B, C, D, E, G, P, S, T, V, Z all have the /e/ sound.
2. It would be like me trying to learn 26 random sounds that only have very slight differences and remember them in order, so I am okay with her still continuing to struggle.
3. This activity makes you say the alphabet more slowly which helps her to hear to sounds more clearly.
Lesson:

1. Lay your foam letters on the floor.
2. Put them in alphabetical order. Have your child help as much as possible. Brooke is able to identify most of her letters.
3. We sing the alphabet song after we add every 3-4 letters. Just more repetition.
4. Once the letters are in order, have your child step on each letter as it is sung.


Modifications:

1. Use Puzzle Pieces or Flashcards for stepping too!
2. Here are a few sites we use to reinforce the alphabet song. Alphablocks Alphabet and Starfall

1 comment: