About Me

My photo
I am just a mom: a mom of three kids and one of them is hearing impaired. We are a busy family and I am a very busy mom. I want my hearing impaired daughter, Brooke, to have every advantage so I try to incorporate as many lessons and strategies into our every day life. Most of the teaching I do with Brooke is incorporated into our daily routines and parent-directed play. This blog will include some of our formal lessons but mostly it will be learning to listen in the everyday.

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Reggie the Rhyming Rhino

Scholastic has a great website for practicing rhymes. There are topic choices for working with the rhymes such as words at a store, restaurant, zoo, or museum.

Once you choose your topic, the rhyming practice begins. Reggie, the rhyming Rhino, gives a word and 3 possible rhyming words. Nothing too hard.

This is how I use the site with Brooke:
1. I say, "This is a light. Does light rhyme with kite? Does light rhyme with bed? Does light rhyme with flower?"
2. If the answer is the first choice, I'll say, "Yep, light rhymes with kite. But let's check the other answers. Does light rhyme with bed? No. Does light rhyme with flower? No. Yep, you are right, light rhymes with kite.
3. Then I have Brooke repeat it by saying, "Light rhymes with kite."
4. I have control over the mouse and will then click on the answer. The site then says, "Light rhymes with kite." for another auditory reinforcement.

We only play for 5 or so minutes at a time but since the site is so easy to accesses, we can do it anytime she is ready to rhyme

Practice rhyming with Reggie.

No comments:

Post a Comment