About Me

My photo
I am just a mom: a mom of three kids and one of them is hearing impaired. We are a busy family and I am a very busy mom. I want my hearing impaired daughter, Brooke, to have every advantage so I try to incorporate as many lessons and strategies into our every day life. Most of the teaching I do with Brooke is incorporated into our daily routines and parent-directed play. This blog will include some of our formal lessons but mostly it will be learning to listen in the everyday.

Friday, January 14, 2011

Refrigerator Make-Over


I have three of these magnetic charts hanging on the front of my refrigerator. I bought them to teach about what food is good to eat, the different food groups and how to choose food to keep your body healthy. I am hoping that they will learn life-long healthy eating habits while they are young that will carry through to adulthood. We used them for a while but them got away from using it. I wanted to get back to it so I re-organized my refrigerator to help.

We came home yesterday from vacation to an almost empty refrigerator. Since, I have been wanting to incorporate some sort of snack policy to help my kids choose healthy snacks and understand food groups; I took the opportunity to clean and re-organize my fridge before grocery shopping.


Here is the final fridge.....not all that much different but let me show you the snack area. The bottom drawer will now be the snack drawer.


There is a section labeled Milk, Vegetables, and Fruit. In each section are individual portions ready for snack.

The Milk section has string cheese and yogurt. The Vegetable section has baggies of carrots so far with plans to add some celery, green beans and a few other options. The Fruit section has some Gladware cups of strawberries and blueberries - we also have a fruit bowl with apples, bananas and oranges that stays on the counter.

In the pantry are two boxes labeled Meat and Beans and Grains.

The Meat and Bean box has tuna, peanut butter, and baggies with nuts and dried fruit.


The Grains box has baggies of crackers and pre-packaged granola bars.

When my children are hungry for a snack, I can direct them to choose a snack from a specific food group. We can look at their magnetic food chart, see what food group they need, and pick a snack from that box. Since the twins are not reading, I made the labels the same color as the magnetic chart so they can get something from the Red Fruit bin to correspond with the Red Fruits on their chart.
I plan to add a Fat box with sweet snacks such as gummies, chocolate bars, etc. once we get the system down.

No comments:

Post a Comment