About Me

My photo
I am just a mom: a mom of three kids and one of them is hearing impaired. We are a busy family and I am a very busy mom. I want my hearing impaired daughter, Brooke, to have every advantage so I try to incorporate as many lessons and strategies into our every day life. Most of the teaching I do with Brooke is incorporated into our daily routines and parent-directed play. This blog will include some of our formal lessons but mostly it will be learning to listen in the everyday.

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Peter Peter Pumpkin Eater

Objective:
a. Teach and memorize Peter Peter Pumpkin Eater
b. focus on rhyming

Points to Remember:
1. Teaching Nursery rhymes have so many benefits for young children. Look here
2. Repeat this nursery rhyme over and over....say it in the morning, during car rides, have your child say it to friends or to grandma on the phone. Get lots of practice this week.
Lesson:
1. Introduce the rhyme on a poster. I printed the rhyme from Enchanted Learning
I like this poster since it has pictures as well as words. Talk about the poem. What is a pumpkin-eater? What kinds of food have pumpkins in it? What is a wife? Do you know anyone who is a wife? Is it possible to live inside a pumpkin shell? Do you think this is real or pretend?
2. On YouTube there are multiple videos of the nursery rhyme. Watch some videos with your child.
3. Print a coloring page. Have your child circle all the letter P's in the poem. Help her to find them.
4. Here is my 8 page book. Feel free to print and read over and over with your child.
5. Since it was Halloween time, we used a pumpkin leaf bag to act out the poem! Here is Kate in the pumpkin shell....where I kept her very well!


Modifications:
1. Put on a puppet show. Use your own puppets or print puppets from the Enchanted Learning website.
2. Print off some coloring sheets of Peter Peter Pumpkin Eater if your child enjoys coloring.

No comments:

Post a Comment