About Me

My photo
I am just a mom: a mom of three kids and one of them is hearing impaired. We are a busy family and I am a very busy mom. I want my hearing impaired daughter, Brooke, to have every advantage so I try to incorporate as many lessons and strategies into our every day life. Most of the teaching I do with Brooke is incorporated into our daily routines and parent-directed play. This blog will include some of our formal lessons but mostly it will be learning to listen in the everyday.

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

1,2,3 Listen

Objective:


a. to listen to a short sentence then pick the appropriate picture from a worksheet

b. listen and understand recorded voice.

c. We used this site to download the audio file and the worksheet: Body Parts



Points to Remember:
1. Download the "What's Wrong" audio file. You will need Windows Media Player to listen.


2. Then print off the included worksheet. I choose the worksheet with 2 answer choices but there are others such as 3 answer choices or connect the answer to the picture. I felt the 2 choices was an appropriate one for Brooke.




Lesson:
1. Tell your child that you are going to listen to some sentences on the computer and then ask her to show you a picture about the sentences she heard.


2. I used 2 envelopes so Brooke could only see the 2 pictures that we were working on.



3. Play the audio file. There is a pause button to stop it in between the questions.





The first questions states: "I have a cut on my arm." "What happened?" "I fell off my bike."
Once your child listens, pause the audio file. Ask your child to point to the picture that shows what the people were talking about.
Your child should point to the picture of the arm. If not, rewind the audio file and listen again.

4. Continue with the other 10 questions. Brooke was able to get about 4 of the 10 by listening the first time, a few we listened to twice, and a few she didn't get at all.

Modifications:
1. You can make up sentences yourself if you prefer not to use the recorded voices. Recorded voices are more difficult so make sure your child is ready.
2. There are lots of other topic choices such as transportation, weather, feelings, daily routines, Halloween, and more. We will be doing more of these too!

No comments:

Post a Comment