About Me

My photo
I am just a mom: a mom of three kids and one of them is hearing impaired. We are a busy family and I am a very busy mom. I want my hearing impaired daughter, Brooke, to have every advantage so I try to incorporate as many lessons and strategies into our every day life. Most of the teaching I do with Brooke is incorporated into our daily routines and parent-directed play. This blog will include some of our formal lessons but mostly it will be learning to listen in the everyday.

Friday, May 6, 2011

123 Listening

objective:
a: to listen and understand single words on a computer
b. to point to the correct answer with two options

Points to Remember:
1. Download the audio file and the "choose from 2 pictures" worksheet from the 123 Listening website. There are other options such as choose from 3 pictures or matching numbers to picture worksheets if you need to make the activity more challenging for your child

Lesson:
1. Tell your child that today you are going to listen to a word on the computer. When you hear the work, point to a picture of it on the paper. I covered up all the other questions except for number 1 so that Brooke was not looking at the entire page but only number 1.



2. Play the audio file. For number 1, it says "arm". you child should then point to the picture of the arm on the worksheet. The audio file says the word only one time; there were a few times that I needed to go back a play the file again.



3. This was a little frustrating for Brooke. She would say, "I didn't hear it." with a pitiful look on her face. We only did up to #8 and then stopped. She need 3 of them repeated and on #3 after 2 repeats of the word "finger", I said it for her and she was able to get it.


4. I also did this with Brooke's twin sister Kate who has normal hearing. She was able to complete all #10 questions without repeating or having difficulty. So, I know that Brooke is developmentally able to do it and we will continue to practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment