About Me

My photo
I am just a mom: a mom of three kids and one of them is hearing impaired. We are a busy family and I am a very busy mom. I want my hearing impaired daughter, Brooke, to have every advantage so I try to incorporate as many lessons and strategies into our every day life. Most of the teaching I do with Brooke is incorporated into our daily routines and parent-directed play. This blog will include some of our formal lessons but mostly it will be learning to listen in the everyday.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Answering questions about a story

objective:

a. to listen to 5-6 sentences and answer a who, what, why, where question without visual clues


Points to remember:

1. In therapy, her teacher reads the pages, asks the questions and then shows her the picture after she answers the question but a home that doesn't work. Brooke wants to see the pictures and says, "No questions for Brooke" if I try to read without her seeing the pictures. So, at home, She looks at the pictures while I read and I'll ask her a question that she can't find the answer in pictures - which makes it a little harder for mommy!

2. Browse the books in the library that you think will work best for your family. I usually check out about 5-6 books each week.


Lesson:

1. Look at the front cover of the book.



and ask some pre-reading questions: Where is the title? What do you think the book is about? What do you see in the illustrations?



2. The first page reads: There's a cow in the road! And it sure is a shock when I first wake up at seven o'clock. I asked Brooke, "What time did she wake up?"



3. Another page reads: He's twitching his tail and tossing his mane. He's a handsome horse But a little bit vain. "I asked What kind of horse is he?"



4. There's a pig in the road! At the end of the line As I gobble my toast at seven thirty-nine. I asked, "What did she eat for breakfast?"



5. There's a crowd in the road! And it sure feels good To wait all together in our neighborhood. I asked, "Why are they waiting?"



Modifications:



1. Try to do this will all the books you read. You don't need to ask a question on every page, but do remember to ask a few to make sure your child is LISTENING to the story but just looking at the pictures.



No comments:

Post a Comment