About Me

My photo
I am just a mom: a mom of three kids and one of them is hearing impaired. We are a busy family and I am a very busy mom. I want my hearing impaired daughter, Brooke, to have every advantage so I try to incorporate as many lessons and strategies into our every day life. Most of the teaching I do with Brooke is incorporated into our daily routines and parent-directed play. This blog will include some of our formal lessons but mostly it will be learning to listen in the everyday.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Lessons in Learning

Language Experience

Last week was a very busy week filled with lots of language opportunities. We worked in the garden, hosted a tea party baby shower, and watched a baby overnight. Brooke was involved in creating the favors for the baby shower...we glued tea cups to saucers and planted flowers in them. She went shopping to find the tea cups and to the store to get the flowers - a lot of language. Then, while watching the baby for a friend, we were getting the baby ready for a bath. Brooke thought the baby would take a baby shower, not a bath. It was totally confusing why we spend two days getting ready for the baby shower only to give the baby a bath! I think I got it all explained!


Letters


We did have some time for fun learning activities. We created some letters using our bodies. Below is the letters B and C. Some letters needed only 1 person, some 2 people and some 3 people. The kids enjoyed choosing a letter from the pile and then figuring out how to create it with their bodies. Jake was a good leader in this activity.


We practice writing our name a few times a week. I make the letters with dots and Brooke traces the dots as she correctly forms the letter.....then we decorated with Princess stickers.



No comments:

Post a Comment