About Me

My photo
I am just a mom: a mom of three kids and one of them is hearing impaired. We are a busy family and I am a very busy mom. I want my hearing impaired daughter, Brooke, to have every advantage so I try to incorporate as many lessons and strategies into our every day life. Most of the teaching I do with Brooke is incorporated into our daily routines and parent-directed play. This blog will include some of our formal lessons but mostly it will be learning to listen in the everyday.

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Lessons in Life
I am blessed with a DVD player in the car and as the kids were watching Kung Fu Panda and I was listening, I hear a scene that taught me a great lesson.
In the scene the Master Shifu and Master Oogway were discussing the Illusion of Control
Oogway: Look at this tree, Shifu: I can not make it blossom when it suits me nor make it bear fruit before its time.
Shifu: But there are things we "can" control: I can control when the fruit will fall, I can control where to plant the seed - that is no illusion, Master!
Oogway: Ah yes. But no matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.
Shifu: But a peach can not defeat Tai Lung!
Oogway: Maybe it can, if you are willing to guide it, to nurture it, to believe in it.

Wow....this hit me hard. Brooke and her hearing loss is my Peach Tree. No matter how I wish that her ears will heal and she will be an apple tree or an orange tree - I can not change it. She is a Peach Tree! And a Peach Tree can do anything, even defeat the biggest struggles. How? I will guide her, nurture her and believe in her! I have come to the point where I do not want Brooke to be an apple or an orange tree; she is my Peach Tree - and I love peaches!
It amazes me that Kung Fu Panda can bring me to tears!

No comments:

Post a Comment