About Me

My photo
I am just a mom: a mom of three kids and one of them is hearing impaired. We are a busy family and I am a very busy mom. I want my hearing impaired daughter, Brooke, to have every advantage so I try to incorporate as many lessons and strategies into our every day life. Most of the teaching I do with Brooke is incorporated into our daily routines and parent-directed play. This blog will include some of our formal lessons but mostly it will be learning to listen in the everyday.

Saturday, May 29, 2010

This morning after our Lowe's Build and Grow workshop where the kids made a really cool race car, we did some shopping. Daddy spend a long time in the carpet sections, so to keep the kids occupied and behaved, we played a game. In many of the aisles, there are letter markers to help identify the sections - you'll see them near the bottom of the photo. We created a letter recognition game that kept the kids occupied and provided some letter practice. Brooke and Kate were assigned a letter: they had to say the letter, the sound, and a word that started with the letter and then run and stand under it. Of course they needed a little help but it was a good learning experience. To make it a little harder for Jake (and to work on his listening skills which were soaring lacking this morning) I gave him a series of 4 letters. He had to remember the 4 letters in order and run from the first to last. Now, of course, we did not do this in the lighting section! We found a quiet aisle of nuts and bolts. Daddy was able to focus on the carpet, the kids had fun, and Mommy created a learning experience out of a waiting experience - success all around.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Valerie, I searched for you on my Facebook page and found who I sure hope is you ;-). I got your email and have emailed you back both today, and on May 28, I wanted to leave you a comment in case you aren't getting the emails, maybe check spam? Let me know when you get them, or if you get this and still don't get the emails. I sent them from 2 different accounts just to try another way to contact you ;-)

    Carisa

    ReplyDelete