About Me

My photo
I am just a mom: a mom of three kids and one of them is hearing impaired. We are a busy family and I am a very busy mom. I want my hearing impaired daughter, Brooke, to have every advantage so I try to incorporate as many lessons and strategies into our every day life. Most of the teaching I do with Brooke is incorporated into our daily routines and parent-directed play. This blog will include some of our formal lessons but mostly it will be learning to listen in the everyday.

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Puzzle Time

I HATE PUZZLES. I have never liked puzzles. I think puzzles are hard. But, I do know the value of puzzles: doing puzzles on a regular basis reinforces logic, critical thinking, reasoning, visual, reading, and math skills. Puzzles sharpen kids' visual perception, aid their understanding of logic, and help them learn to simplify complex situations. Doing puzzles builds persistence and creases focus and helps them stick with a task until the end. Children who are avid puzzlers also often find it easier to gather information, assess a situation, and find a quick solution to a problem. So, if I did puzzles maybe I will develop some of these skills too! Therefore, we introduced a Family Puzzle.
We set the puzzle up on the dining room table which we rarely use. Then over the course of days or weeks we slowly work on the puzzle until it is finished!

Kate helped to put the final pieces into the puzzle this morning! Good work Kate - she may be only 4 years old but she is already better at puzzles than I am! This puzzle was 300 pieces - I think we will stick with that amount for a few years - I can't handle any more than a 300 piece puzzle!




No comments:

Post a Comment