About Me

My photo
I am just a mom: a mom of three kids and one of them is hearing impaired. We are a busy family and I am a very busy mom. I want my hearing impaired daughter, Brooke, to have every advantage so I try to incorporate as many lessons and strategies into our every day life. Most of the teaching I do with Brooke is incorporated into our daily routines and parent-directed play. This blog will include some of our formal lessons but mostly it will be learning to listen in the everyday.

Monday, February 21, 2011

Outside Alphabet

On the nice warm days that are soon to be coming our way, turn your outside time into Alphabet Learning Time. We look a large roll of paper and I wrote each letter of the alphabet on it.
We then looked around the yard and garage for items beginning with the letter sound.
For the /g/ sound we found grass, golf ball, an old gummie, and an old grape (our yard really isn't that gross, I promise)
For /h/ we found a helmet, for /j/ a jumprope, for /k/ a kite, /l/ is a leaf and a lid, /m/ is a milkbone, and /n/ is a net
/p/ is a pinecone, /r/is rocks and rubberbands, /s/ is sunglasses and a scuba diver, /t/ is a top and a tennis racket
I was really surprised by all the items we found outside! Brooke and Kate needed a lot of help with recognizing the beginning letter sound, but that is waht learning is all about!

No comments:

Post a Comment