About Me

My photo
I am just a mom: a mom of three kids and one of them is hearing impaired. We are a busy family and I am a very busy mom. I want my hearing impaired daughter, Brooke, to have every advantage so I try to incorporate as many lessons and strategies into our every day life. Most of the teaching I do with Brooke is incorporated into our daily routines and parent-directed play. This blog will include some of our formal lessons but mostly it will be learning to listen in the everyday.

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Brooke's goals at age 4

    I have created a list of goals that I expect Brooke to complete this year. These are goals for children with a hearing impairment to master at the age of 4. Brooke is capable of reaching all these goals. As I create lessons to work on these goals, I will link back to this list.

    • Pays attention to short stories and answers simple questions about them.
    • Listens to long stories.
    • Carries out, in order, a command of three parts such as "Pick up the ball, put it on the table, and bring me the book."
    • Carries out four separate commands using different prepositions: in front of, beside, behind.
    • Knows "between/above/below/top/bottom/next to/in/out"
    • Follows a four-step command; a direction with four critical elements.
    • Carries out more complex commands with 2-3 actions.
    • Understands and replies appropriately with a word or gesture to questions such as "What do you do when you are sleepy?" "Which one is bigger?"
    • Comprehends time phrases: all the time, all day, for two weeks.
    • Understands irregular plurals, e.g., child/children.
    • Understands possessives: dog’s.
    • Understands approximately 1500 – 2500 words.
    • Understands the number three, e.g., "Give me three"
    • Imitates a 12-syllable, 9-word sentence, based on short-term recollection.
    • Remembers four items of a story.
    • Repeats two numbers backwards.
    • Recalls four numbers, letters, or words.
    • Identifies four colors.
    • Understands dependent clause: if, because, when, why
    • Hears and understands most of what is said at home and school.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment