About Me

My photo
I am just a mom: a mom of three kids and one of them is hearing impaired. We are a busy family and I am a very busy mom. I want my hearing impaired daughter, Brooke, to have every advantage so I try to incorporate as many lessons and strategies into our every day life. Most of the teaching I do with Brooke is incorporated into our daily routines and parent-directed play. This blog will include some of our formal lessons but mostly it will be learning to listen in the everyday.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

I have known about Brooke's hearing loss for almost 2 years and she has been in hearing aids for almost 1 1/2 years. Yesterday, it was time once again for Brooke's hearing test, which we repeat about every 3 months. We traveled to Chapel Hill to see our wonderful audiologist as the University Hospital. Brooke paticipated well and we discovered another drop in hearing levels. Though I have not noticed a big change in her hearing or her speech, yesterday's appointment confirmed my fear that her hearing loss is progressive and she will continue to loose hearing.

I have done some internet research on progressive hearing loss, but I was not able to find very much. I did find that almost half of us with a child who had an unknown cause of sensorineural hearing loss could expect that child to lose some additional hearing. It has been observes that this drop in hearing seems to occur most often before the age of 5. Progressive loss doesn't necessarily mean that hearing continues to drop, as some children lose some range but then achieve a new stable level. Others continue to fluctuate in their hearing. What might be the cause of progressive hearing loss in a child without a coexisting condition or known cause of her hearing loss? No one knows.

Once again, I am dealing with the grief over her loss. This is not what I want for my daughter; this is not my plan for her; this is not where I want her to be. The fears of what the future holds are frightening. But I trust in a God that is faithful - He has been faithful in the past and will be faithful now. I trust God with Brooke's life and choose His plan for her over any of my plans. The God that created the earth is holding my daughter and loves her. Whatever the future holds, my God is faithful and my God is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment