About Me

My photo
I am just a mom: a mom of three kids and one of them is hearing impaired. We are a busy family and I am a very busy mom. I want my hearing impaired daughter, Brooke, to have every advantage so I try to incorporate as many lessons and strategies into our every day life. Most of the teaching I do with Brooke is incorporated into our daily routines and parent-directed play. This blog will include some of our formal lessons but mostly it will be learning to listen in the everyday.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

More rhyming

Play a guessing game to introduce the concept of rhyming words. Have your child close her eyes and try to think of the animal that you’re describing. Give her several hints, ending with a word that the animal’s name rhymes with.

For example, you might say, “I’m thinking of an animal with whiskers and a long tail. This animal likes to catch mice. Its name rhymes with the word ‘pat'." Have your child say the animal name then stress the rhyming word: "That is right. 'cat' rhymes with 'pat'. cat...pat"

Another example would be, “I’m thinking of an animal who sleeps through the long winter. This animal is very large, and sometimes it likes to eat honey. Its name rhymes with the word ‘hair'." Have your child say the animal name then stress the rhyming word: "That is right. bear' rhymes with 'hair'. bear...hair"

Try this: " I am an animal who is a pet. It has four legs, a wagging tail, and likes to chew on a bone. Its name rhymes with 'log'." Have your child say the animal name and then stress the rhyming word.

Or: "I'm thinking of an animal that is an insect. It flies through the air and travels from flower to flower to collect nectar. It has a stinger so be careful. Its name rhymes with 'tree'.

Or these pairs:
fox-socks
mouse-house
bat-sat
frog-hog
cow-wow
snail-pail
bug-slug
whale-scale
fish-dish
snake-lake



Read more: http://www.brighthub.com/education/early-childhood/articles/42631.aspx#ixzz1ZeoLZPkK

No comments:

Post a Comment