About Me

My photo
I am just a mom: a mom of three kids and one of them is hearing impaired. We are a busy family and I am a very busy mom. I want my hearing impaired daughter, Brooke, to have every advantage so I try to incorporate as many lessons and strategies into our every day life. Most of the teaching I do with Brooke is incorporated into our daily routines and parent-directed play. This blog will include some of our formal lessons but mostly it will be learning to listen in the everyday.

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Rhyme - Discern and supply rhyming words

Step 1: Rhyme - Discern and supply rhyming words


The first step in phonemic awareness is to recognize rhyming words. Brooke still doesn't completely grasp the concept of rhyming words so we continue to word on this skill in a variety of different ways. Today we played with some rhyming itsy-bitsy miniatures.


Lesson:


1. Set out 4 objects with 2 that rhyme. Set one on the rhyming objects at the top and the other three objects below.

2. Say: "This is a snake. Say snake."

3. "What word rhymes with snake?"

4. "Listen to the words: Does cake rhyme with snake? Does hat rhyme with snake? Does pan rhyme with snake?"

5. Brooke usually shakes her head yes or no so I have her repeat: "Yes, snake rhymes with cake."




6. Set out 4 new objects. Set one on the rhyming objects at the top and the other three objects below.
7 . Say: "This is a bug. Say bug."
8. "What word rhymes with bug?"
9. "Listen to the words: Does bug rhyme with rug? Does bug rhyme with van? Does bug rhyme with stone?"
10. Have her repeat: "Yes, bug rhymes with rug."


Modifications:


1. I notices that my rhyming pairs were the first choice in these pictures. Of course, move the rhyming object to the second or third choice as well.


2. Use picture cards from flash card decks or games to create some rhyming pairs.


No comments:

Post a Comment