About Me

My photo
I am just a mom: a mom of three kids and one of them is hearing impaired. We are a busy family and I am a very busy mom. I want my hearing impaired daughter, Brooke, to have every advantage so I try to incorporate as many lessons and strategies into our every day life. Most of the teaching I do with Brooke is incorporated into our daily routines and parent-directed play. This blog will include some of our formal lessons but mostly it will be learning to listen in the everyday.

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Hearing Loss

Hearing loss is one of the most common chronic health problems in this country.

But hearing loss often goes unnoticed and a child with the hearing problem is probably not aware of it. Why does hearing loss go undetected?

Frequently, hearing loss is:
Gradual.
Loss of hearing can develop so slowly that you're not aware of any change from year to year. A loss of one or two decibels per year is not noticeable, but after 10-20 years of such change, you can have a distinct-albeit unnoticed-problem.
Partial.
You can develop a hearing loss for high pitched sounds that affect the clarity of speech but still have normal hearing sensitivity for low pitched sound so you hear speech and background noises at a relatively normal loudness. That's why a person with such loss may say, "I can hear people talking-I just can't understand them."
Painless.
Usually, there is no feeling or sensation that alerts you to a change in hearing-especially if it is slowly progressive.
Invisible.
The person with a hearing loss doesn't look any different and you can't detect hearing loss by looking into someone's ears. Only an audiological evaluation can determine whether a hearing loss is present.

Because of these characteristics, it's easy for a child with gradual onset hearing loss to go undetected. If you suspect your child may have hearing loss, ask your pediatrician and request an evaluation by an audiologist. And remember, the first step is not to get hearing aids, but simply to have a professional hearing test by your audiologist.

I began noticing some language delays with Brooke around the age of 2. I never thought it would be hearing loss; I knew she wasn't deaf because she would respond to my voice, but didn't think about the spectrum of hearing loss. At the age of 2, I asked for a speech evaluation at her 2 year check-up. My pediatrician thought I should wait until she was 3, but I persisted. I went through the county's early intervention program for a speech evaluation and they were the first to mention a possible hearing loss.

Once she passed the newborn hearing screening, I didn't think that hearing loss could develop gradually. Now I know and want to share to help with early detection.

This article was originally submitted by
Dennis Hampton, Ph.D. and subsequently edited by AAC.

1 comment:

  1. Most of the time, it's difficult to detect whether one is hearing impaired or has who has suffered from hearing loss. Indeed, new born screening certainly goes a long way. This way, babies born with a hearing condition can be given medical attention as soon as possible.

    -Rebecca Kavel

    ReplyDelete