About Me

My photo
I am just a mom: a mom of three kids and one of them is hearing impaired. We are a busy family and I am a very busy mom. I want my hearing impaired daughter, Brooke, to have every advantage so I try to incorporate as many lessons and strategies into our every day life. Most of the teaching I do with Brooke is incorporated into our daily routines and parent-directed play. This blog will include some of our formal lessons but mostly it will be learning to listen in the everyday.

Friday, June 18, 2010

Tonow

I have been working very consistently with Brooke on vocabulary of time: today, tomorrow, later, after, before, etc. We have created a calendar in her room to talk about what she and Kate are doing on each day. During everyday conversation, I am stressing the concepts. For example, FIRST, we are eating breakfast and THEN we will paint the Cinderella book." I do this all day by pausing before and after the word I am stressing. It sounds like, "Let's put on your shoes....before.....we go outside and .....then.....we will go to gymnastics.."


Today, Brooke created a new word. This really was a milestone as it shows she is beginning to understand the concepts of language and how vocabulary works by putting words together. We were driving and she saw kids playing in a fountain. She wanted to do it too. As we talked about doing it another day or doing it later, she says, "My daddy says I can do it tonow!" I love this new word: she took the concepts of tomorrow, today, tonight and created the word tonow.

I expect another huge jump in vocabulary now that she is understanding more about the concepts of spoken language and how word patterns often repeat in language.

See you later....tonow I must go!

1 comment:

  1. thanks for sharing such exciting and "growth"-full news. I personally like tonow!

    ReplyDelete