About Me

My photo
I am just a mom: a mom of three kids and one of them is hearing impaired. We are a busy family and I am a very busy mom. I want my hearing impaired daughter, Brooke, to have every advantage so I try to incorporate as many lessons and strategies into our every day life. Most of the teaching I do with Brooke is incorporated into our daily routines and parent-directed play. This blog will include some of our formal lessons but mostly it will be learning to listen in the everyday.

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Auditory Sequencing Activity

Auditory Listening Skills

One of the areas that Brooke needs extra instruction is in listening to elements of a story and remembering them. It is called auditory recall. As a way to practice, we use sequence cards. The ones below were given to us by our therapist.



Step 1: I show Brooke the cards one at a time and lay them (in order) in front of her. Each card tells a part of the story. I try to make each sentence structure different so it is easier for her to identify.



The monkey JUMPS over the wall

"Hello there!" says the monkey



I wonder what is behind the door?

"Got You!"

The monkey is on his way back to the zoo
"Welcome Home Monkey"

Step 2: With the cards laying in front of her, I repeat one section of the story. For example, I will say, "The monkey JUMPS over the wall." and Brooke will point to the picture. I repeat this for all seven pictures and I do it in sequence.


Step 3: With the cards laying in front of Brooke, I say one part of the story NOT in sequence. She listens for key elements and points to the correct picture. This is teaching her to listen for key words in sentences, remember them, and match them to the picture.






The next step will be for Brooke to retell the story in sequence, but we are not there quite yet!


My thoughts

This activity is so easy for Kate. It is one of the times that I notice a real difference between them. It makes me sad when I see the areas where Brooke is lacking. This is a skill that kids just "pick up on " during daily life that Brooke can not just "pick up on" - I actually have to teach her and practice it. I am so thankful for therapists that can show and teach me these areas! By working on these activities now, the goal is that Brooke continues to learn to listen.

Gosh, I love this little girl



Enjoying fruit and Cool Whip after we finish






No comments:

Post a Comment