About Me

My photo
I am just a mom: a mom of three kids and one of them is hearing impaired. We are a busy family and I am a very busy mom. I want my hearing impaired daughter, Brooke, to have every advantage so I try to incorporate as many lessons and strategies into our every day life. Most of the teaching I do with Brooke is incorporated into our daily routines and parent-directed play. This blog will include some of our formal lessons but mostly it will be learning to listen in the everyday.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Auditory Memory

This week Brooke and I are working on auditory memory. Auditory memory is the ability to remember words, numbers, phrases that you hear. Using the game Cariboo as an incentive, I gave Brooke a series of random words for her to listen and repeat.

This is how we do it:
1. I will give Brooke 4 words that she knows such as elephant, umbrella, hat, shoe. Once she repeats them to me in the correct order, she can pick a card and use the key to open the door in the game.
2. We started with 5 words (which I thought she could do) but she was really struggling with it. Since I want her to feel successful, I dropped down to 4 words.

3. Here are a few other lists:


football, tree, orange, ice cream


bee, truck, boat, soccer


rainbow, sun, mailman, fox


book, flower, duck, apple


4. You can play this with any game you like. Before your child's turn, just ask her to repeat a list of words.



1 comment:

  1. i am really proud of how you arrange your lesson.
    i have a favor to ask; i am a student of university pursuing BA. of EDUCATION IN LINGUISTIC AND LITERATURE.Currently i am conducting a research on nursery rhymes titled
    A STUDY OF EDUCATIONAL VALUES OF NURSERY RHYMES IN THE SOCIALIZATION OF PRIMARY SCHOOL PUPILS.
    I find it hard to do it because of lack of materials and researches conducted earlier.
    i am asking if you will have any idea or suggestion or any inputs that will help in doing my research, i would be glad to have your assistance if you don`t mind.
    my email address is felix.massinda@gmail.com
    thank you

    ReplyDelete