About Me

My photo
I am just a mom: a mom of three kids and one of them is hearing impaired. We are a busy family and I am a very busy mom. I want my hearing impaired daughter, Brooke, to have every advantage so I try to incorporate as many lessons and strategies into our every day life. Most of the teaching I do with Brooke is incorporated into our daily routines and parent-directed play. This blog will include some of our formal lessons but mostly it will be learning to listen in the everyday.

Thursday, July 15, 2010

God is Good

Yesterday we traveled to Chapel Hill for another audiology exam. We first met with Tom who did come vocabulary and cognitive tests with Brooke. She did a great job during the 2 hours of testing and, as I watched, was performing as I knew she could. Tom did quite a few vocabulary test such as showing her 4 pictures and asking Brooke to point to the picture "that shows the ball outside the circle". These tests progressively get harder to find exactly where her threshold is located. When questions got to hard, Brooke would slide off her chair and go under the table or climb behind my back - a clear sign that she didn't know the answer. Tom will be sending me the results but said she was performing as she should for a 4 year old. Since Brooke didn't recieve her hearing aids until age 2.5, we have had a lot of time to make up. My goal is to have Brooke "at age level" by the time she enters Kindergarten in Fall 2011. I am excitingly awaiting the results to see just how well she is doing.
We then saw our audiologist for the hearing test. Results showed that there has been no loss of hearing since our appointment 3 months ago. This is fabulous news since she has shown a decrease at every appointment over the last 2 years - it was the first time her hearing remained stable. Each day we have with heairng allows Brooke more opportunities to learn language, vocabulary, and speech sounds. It is our continued prayer that her hearing remains stable for as long as God allows. She has the wonderful advantage of being able to hear with her hearing aids right now and we want that to last!
So....good news all around! Thanks to my wonderful friends who so willingly help with Jake and Kate during these trips to Brooke's appointments; I appreciate it more than I could ever express.

No comments:

Post a Comment